J. Renwick Jackson, Jr. (1964-1965)
J. Renwick Jackson was born in Philadelphia on October 10, 1928. He got a B.A. from Westminster College in Pennsylvania in 1949, a B.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1952, and a Ph.D. from the University of Edinburgh in 1957. He did post-graduate work at Oxford and Cambridge. He was ordained by the Presbytery of Erie on June 5, 1952.
In 1952 and 1953, Dr. Jackson served as a counselor to university students, a program that was coordinated by the Board of National Missions. He was co-pastor at Faith Church in Baltimore, Maryland in 1954, stated supply at the Congregational Church in Witney, Oxfordshire, England in 1956, pastor at the First Presbyterian Church of Rahway in 1958-1961, Professor of Christian Education at the New Brunswick Theological Seminary in 1962, and Director of National Programs Development of the National Conference of Christians and Jews 1962-1965.
He was appointed interim pastor at FPCN on November 1, 1964. He left on June 27, 1965, when he was replaced by Charles L. Sorg.
After FPCN, he served as Professor of History and Dean of Students at Queensborough Community College from 1965-67, Professor of History and Dean of Students at York College of the City University of New York from 1967-68, and Professor of Religious Studies at Hunter College during 1968-69. He initiated the first program of Religious Studies in the City University of New York. He was the founding president of St. Mary's College in Maryland.
Dr. Jackson also served as interim minister of the First Presbyterian Church of Stillwater, New Jersey (1985-87); the Community Church of Montauk, New York (1987-89); the West Presbyterian Church of Binghamton, New York (1989-90); and the Fort Hamilton Presbyterian Church in Brooklyn, New York.
While serving as pastor at the Congregational Church in Patchague, Long Island, Dr. Jackson officiated at a gay marriage ceremony on New Years Eve, 1994. The congregation voted to remove him as pastor. He sued for breach of contract. The Congregational Church of Patchogue settled his legal suit on terms that were favorable to him.
After leaving the Congregational Church of Patchogue in 1995, Dr. Jackson served as Director of the Community of the Creator Spirit.